Saturday, September 24, 2011

Relaxing

I haven't done a whole lot since I got back other than play pool and relax. I did make it up to Bay101, a card room near me, the last two weekends. They regularly run limit games up to 80-160. I played the 80-160 game last night for the first time and surprisingly most of the players were decent. I'd equate the game to about a 15-30 full ring game online. I say surprised because the 40-80 games I've played in have an amazingly low skill level. In many ways they are tougher to play because the players are much less predictable and have wider ranges. There are a lot of multiway pots where several players can have almost any two cards which makes the decision making very difficult. It's hard to say which game is more profitable, I'd guess the 80-160 is slightly more profitable but comes with a whole lot more variance. I'm planning on heading up there every couple of weeks to play.

I haven't done any studying on my game yet but I have a whole list of things I want to look at and that's something I intend to start doing in the next couple weeks. There's a NL tournament in Reno next month I might go play. I'll be playing the PCA in January and would like to get some more NL tournament experience in before that.

I do miss online poker already and am looking forward to playing next year. It's possible I may even make a trip up to Canada before the end of the year to put in a week or two at the tables. I am worried about getting rusty and I don't think live poker is going to help much due to the low volume of hands.

Not much else to say. Good luck at the tables.

7 comments:

  1. Are you saying the game with the more competent players is more profitable than the ones with lower skill because of the looseness?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question. No, in terms of money the 80-160 is more profitable but only slightly IMO. In terms of big bets, the 40-80 is much more profitable. But the 80-160 is easier to play for me because the hand ranges are narrower in most spots and the post flop decisions often easier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tony, could You explain how to create BB/100 PRE RAKE stat in Holdem manager?

    Great blog, good job. I found many usefull concepts for myself. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks. It is a custom stat that one of my friends made for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yeah I know, i did some research, but could you share the formula for it, please? You can probably find it in CustomStats.txt in your Holdem_Manager/Reports directory.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can email me at tony.pirone@gmail.com and I'll send you the file.

    ReplyDelete